FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    Tom

Trend Setter

Search Function On The Main Site

Don't know if anyone else finds this, but as the site fills with more content, the search function is becoming less and less useful as it throws up nearly every article written. I'm not sure if there's an advanced function you can add or maybe something else, but it'd be a bit quicker finding the article in question without scanning down quite a list of results.

Trend Setter
    I get this too. I think it brings up all articles with the word you search for within it and not just the title.
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

Editor-In-Chief
    The search bar in the navigation is just a general 'quick search' and as such will throw up a lot more results. There is a link called 'advanced search' in the same forum navigation bar - in between 'quick links' and 'notifications' that will allow you to be much more thorough when it comes to filtering your results or searching specific types.

There is also a 'search thread' and 'search forum' drop down link (light grey block link) above each thread and forum respectively. These offer a couple of quick options for specific types of searches.

Hope this helps.
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

There's also an option to "subscribe" to any thread you find interesting for easy finding in the future.

If you click thread tools on top of the thread, just above the original poster there's a "subscribe" button, you can then save it and come back to it at a later date if you so wish.

Then when you wish to view subscribed threads you can click "Quick Links" and click it from there, it's at the top of the forum next to the "Advanced Search" button Ben mentioned

Obviously, this is only good if you wish to refer to a thread later instead of searching for a specific topic.

Editor-In-Chief
    Sorry I have just realised that you meant the live site and not the forums. I understand your issue here and I am actually looking into using Google custom search for our search results on site - which will obviously be a lot better than the current default wordpress engine.

However, the only issue is that it is hard to style and integrate - especially in a site like ours where it has a black background and dark styling. For the sake of usability though I think I will just use the default styles and have one page on site that doesn't look great - but produces results.
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

Tom

Trend Setter
    Yeah sorry about that, I did stick it in the forum feedback section so easy mistake! I can see the dilemma, i'll just try and be more specific with the search terms in the mean time (and on the upside there is usually more than the article i'm looking for that I find helpful so it ain't all bad!)

+ Reply to Thread