FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Links On Articles

I have noticed that when you post the pictures with links to certain items of clothing, it will only link to the retailers site, not the items page! I'm sorry, but it's kinda annoying! Anything you can do guys?
    Thanks!

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Topher View Post
    I have noticed that when you post the pictures with links to certain items of clothing, it will only link to the retailers site, not the items page! I'm sorry, but it's kinda annoying! Anything you can do guys?
    Thanks!
    it used to be like that before, but now they just put a general link....

agree it was much better before..

Editor-In-Chief
    I actually made a note of this on the article we introduce the change to but here is the reasoning....

I can't deny that linking direct to the product was better from a useability point of view. However, as our advice stands the test of time, we have readers regularly going back through old articles, viewing items that are now out of stock - hence every click they make will now take them either to an error page or out of stock page (depending on how the retailers handles it).

Either way it makes the articles 'seem' out of date quicker. Now we put a general link to the nearest category, and when you hover over, give you the product name should you wish to search for it on site (or further to that in google). We are also starting to use all our own thumbnail images, so we don't have retailers deleting old product images and our articles becoming full of holes! This means you can still see the type of clothing we were recommending, and then browse the category you land on for an up to date piece.

Hopefully this all makes sense. From an admin point of view it also means we have greater control over every article on site - we change the backend link once and then every link in each article is then bang up to date at the same time.
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Herbert View Post
    I actually made a note of this on the article we introduce the change to but here is the reasoning....

I can't deny that linking direct to the product was better from a useability point of view. However, as our advice stands the test of time, we have readers regularly going back through old articles, viewing items that are now out of stock - hence every click they make will now take them either to an error page or out of stock page (depending on how the retailers handles it).

Either way it makes the articles 'seem' out of date quicker. Now we put a general link to the nearest category, and when you hover over, give you the product name should you wish to search for it on site (or further to that in google). We are also starting to use all our own thumbnail images, so we don't have retailers deleting old product images and our articles becoming full of holes! This means you can still see the type of clothing we were recommending, and then browse the category you land on for an up to date piece.

Hopefully this all makes sense. From an admin point of view it also means we have greater control over every article on site - we change the backend link once and then every link in each article is then bang up to date at the same time.
    ah ok yeah that does make sense

Fashionisto
    Okay, yeah, thats fair enough!
    Thanks guys!

Fashionisto
    I am fairly new to this (wonderful) site. I regularly browse older articles and have been noticing that some of those are the best ones! I read your reasoning behind broken images/links and wonder if it would be possible to go through some of the older articles and freshen them up with new pictures. A lot of the images are no longer there and it just leaves a sore on the article itself. It also doesn't help the reader get the information necessary to have the article make sense. Just wondering!

+ Reply to Thread