FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Advice On Boots For Autumn/Winter

For the last couple of years have been languishing in a jeans and Converse rut; I've recently lost two stone and dropped two jeans sizes, and would like to smarten up my image a little now I'm in my 30s. Nothing dramatically different, as I still want to feel comfortable, but you know, just a little less like I'm pretending I'm the student I was 10 years ago.

I've been reading this site for the last month or so and have found it a great help, but want some advice on footwear for the coming winter. I want some smarter, more practical and less likely to leak than my Converse, but that fit with the clothes I already own, as unfortunately I'm not in a position to go out and completely update my wardrobe. I can currently mostly be spotted sporting:

- Check / plaid shirts (mostly in reds & blues)
    - Mid-wash straight leg jeans (I might have lost weight, but not enough for anything narrower to be flattering)
    - Brown straight leg cords

I'm also in dire need of a new winter coat and was planning on getting either a pea or duffel coat, probably in navy.

I want something that will go with my current wardrobe, but which will smarten up as my style evolves. I don't think I'm ready for brogues just yet (maybe next year when the rest of my wardrobe is a bit smarter), and I like the look/idea of desert boots (which seem to get a lot of love on this site), but am not sure that they're practical for winter or whether they go with my current jeans. What do other readers think, or do you have any other suggestions?

My only other requirement is that they won't date quickly; for example, I've considered these: Mens Casual Boots - Motive Mix in Ebony Leather from Clarks shoes, but worry while they're on trend for this year,  they're not very stylish, and will look dated come this time next year.

My budget is around 80-100, so feel free to make specific as well as general suggestions.

Help me FashionBeans, you're my only hope!

Trend Setter
    Hi,

If you like desert boots but are worried about the practicality of suede, what about some leather ones like this: Mens Originals Boots - Desert Boot in Ebony Vintage from Clarks shoes

Or something similar like a chukka boot? e.g: ASOS | ASOS Chukka Boots With Leather Sole at ASOS

I'd go for the pea coat personally, not that I don;t like duffel's, but as a first step it seems more versatile. Go for something with as much wool in it as you can afford. Navy would be a good bet.

Hope that helps a bit.

Trend Setter
    desert boots are a good shout, there fine for winter - just get some suede protector, also if they are solely for A/W then get the traditional rubber sole. Another option is to look for a pair with "oiled suede look" similar to the ones in the link below:-
    Church's*Sahara Suede Burnished Desert Boots*|*MR PORTER

Trend Setter
    Sounds like you might be looking for a pair of work boots, like Redwings or Wolverines. I'm personally looking for an 8" boot with a non-metallic toe in a gold color with a suede-like finish. I found an ideal pair of Wolverines, but they were last year's style and now I can't find them anywhere. The nice thing about work boots is that they go very well with jeans and cords, can be stylish, and are very comfortable and durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Sounds like you might be looking for a pair of work boots, like Redwings or Wolverines. I'm personally looking for an 8" boot with a non-metallic toe in a gold color with a suede-like finish. I found an ideal pair of Wolverines, but they were last year's style and now I can't find them anywhere. The nice thing about work boots is that they go very well with jeans and cords, can be stylish, and are very comfortable and durable.
    Like this?
    Hawthorne Iron Ranger Oiled Suede in Brown - Casual Shoes - Shoes | StyleGun

+ Reply to Thread