FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Graduation, Dark Grey Suit, What Shoes??

Hello all,

I have my graduation coming up and i would like to invest in some quality footwear to compliment my dark grey suit. I previously used a pair of Poste No Point Brougue's in dark brown for a number of years as my "best" pair. However after discovering this website i have become a little more educated on the matter of shoes and now i would like to invest in good quality pair i can use during graduation and for years to come.

This is similar to the suit i will be wearning:

Chepstow Dark Grey Sharkskin 2 Button Men's Suit - 28956B | T.M.Lewin

I have been torn between a dark brown/brown and tan. I realise that dark brown would maybe give me a little more versatility in the long run and because of this i am leaning toward brown. On the other hand, tan seems ever so popular and would look great in a whole host of situations past graduation. I have been looking at Grenson, more specifically there 'Dylan' style in brown, this being because its little more slimmer shoe compared with others in their range.

Grenson | Dylan brogue

However i have also been looking at the same style in tan.

Men's Shoes, Tan Brogues, Dylan Brogues, Leather Shoes.

What do you guys think ? do you have any other suggestions ? what would you go for ?

All help will be greatly appreciated

Lewis

Nat

Style Icon
    Two words.... Ox. Blood.

Style Icon
    With a grey that dark I'd probably go with the dark brown. It's smarter than tan, so bear that in mind in terms of future use. However, oxblood would be a good choice too.

As for specific shoes, I have the Dylan in tan and it's a great shoe, lovely shape to it.

FashionBeans Staff
    I think dark brown works better with a dark greys, you might find that Tan makes for too much of a tone contrast. Tan shoes don't really have that much of an advantage over dark brown in casual contexts, dark brown is smarter for sure but you can still use them in all the same situations. You need to think about it from the point of view of what you will get the most use out of.

Fashionisto
    If you live in London, get down to Cheaney's store in Bow Lane sharpish. Their sale is officially over, but this store at least is still offering some very nice shoes, including the most beautiful oxblood (sorry Burgundy) brogues @ 195.

Buy a second pair of sale shoes and you get them at half the sale price! I am sooo tempted.

Acyually thinking about it, you might want to phone them first to check sale is still on.

Thank you all for your replies, there are some great suggestions. I think i am going to stick with the brogue in the dark brown. Thos ox-bloods do look fantastic though.

I have also been looking at a few Derby's:

Toronto Black Double Sole Toe Cap Derby Shoes - Reiss

Bologne Tan Toe Cap Oxford With Leather Sole - Reiss

However they come across quite formal and may not be as versatile as the brogue in a more casual outfit. Could you wear a Derby like them above with smart dark jeans? or would a brogue be more accepted in such situation?

Also i am unsure of the quality of Reiss shoes compared to Grenson etc.. are they worth the price tag or should i lean toward the more traditional shoe makers for that type of money?

FashionBeans Staff
    Stick to Grenson

+ Reply to Thread