FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Square Toe Shoes

Having just read the latest article on rookie fashion mistakes, I must admit to being slightly distressed at the addition of square toe shoes!

Whilst theyre not all the rage at the mo, Im not sure they are some sort of fashion faux pas as the author has suggested. Im particularly irked as I've just bought a pair of Ted Baker ashcroft shoes, which Ive been after for quite a while (I still wear my ashcroft suedes)!!

We agree that you should dress in what you feel comfortable in and not follow the fashiow law to the letter, but am I the only one who feels this way about this particular style?

Fashionisto
    In general they come up longer than round-toed shoes, and elongating the feet usually makes one look gangly (unless you happen to have proportionally small feet). Also, they tend to look very blocky, which doesn't match with the rest of any outfit I've ever seen them worn with.

I could yet be convinced if I saw a pair with less squaring coupled with matching clothing, but a dreadful thought has come to mind that these days someone might wear such massive blocky shoes with otherwise slim fitting pieces, and it's put me off once more.

Fashionisto

Fashionisto
    youve really upset me now Paul-B!

Are they blocky? not sure about that. But I live on the Isle of Man so reckon im still streets ahead of the game!!

FashionBeans Staff
    I think it is perhaps the square toed loafers that create more of an issue, those have a petty tapered point which makes them acceptable, where as something squarer looks utterly ridiculous

Fashionisto
    i can usually adapt to changes in trends, but regular shaped shoes i struggle with. Obviously I own them, but I must admit i dont like them.

Those aren't too bad

I'm picturing square toed loafers in tan mock-croc with bootcut heavily distressed jeans

Fashionisto
    Well I can safely say I am convinced now.

Fashionisto
    i can sleep easier now that i wont be ridiculed by the fashion police

I think these are more of a Chisel toe anyway not square. They look good.

+ Reply to Thread