FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Shoe repairs

I'm after some advice on shoe repairs. My Grenson brogue boots are in need of repair, the sole has worn down at the toe and a whole layer of leather has come off one of the heels. The Grenson website suggests I send them in for a 95 refurbishment. The refurb sounds great, but I have only had them for about 18 months and was hoping for more of a repair than a whole refurb. Also they state that this can only be done a max of three times!

I've seen some bad reviews of some of the high street shoe repair places, as well as heel bars in markets etc.

What do others do for shoe repairs?

Trend Setter
    The only answer is to find somewhere where you trust.

I tend to find that the little independent places are better and more reasonably priced than the chains - Timsons can cut keys but can't be trusted on shoes. Finding them can be hard. If you see somewhere try them out with a pair of shoes you aren't too sentimental about first maybe.

Alternatively, where do you live? Someone might have a recommendation.

FashionBeans Staff
    I would send them to Grenson. Independent cobblers can be good, but it's all still hit and miss. If you want complete peace of mind send them back to the place that made them. If you've worn them so much that they need repairing three times then I think you've probably made back the money you spent on them ten fold.

Trend Setter
    Re-reading the Grenson website it seems to suggest they only need repairing when there is a soft spot on the sole, which there isn't, so maybe I should carry on wearing them. I'll give them a call.

FashionBeans Staff
    I was considering having them repair my Smith chukka boots, I've got similar wear to you on the toe but the heel isn't as bad. I would imagine you could get more use out of them if the sole isn't soft. They will completely replace everything.

I had some Hudsons re-soled and heeled and the result was very satisfactory. They had worn right through the leather on the ball of my foot.

+ Reply to Thread