FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

First Brogues - fit

Calling all brogue-sters,

I'm thinking about buying my first pair of brogues, after searching I think I like the Ted Baker ones the most for around that price point (130).
    Mens Footwear | Designer Shoes, Boots & Trainers for Men| Ted Baker accessories/shoes/

My slight concern after trying them on is the shape.
    because they are fixed and round, rather than a thin and long shoe, I'm a little concerned they make me look like I have massive feet. I'm only 5"6 so not the tallest guy, just don't want to look like a clown.
    The shop assistant said it's the style and I would get used to it, but he would say that.

Just want people's opinion on how brogues should fit.

They were pretty comfortable and sturdy shoe though; beautifully made for the price.

Cheeers bro's.

Fashionisto
    What kind of dress do you plan on wearing your brogues with most of the time? For me, I only wear brogues with suits which I wear once or twice a week. I know that many guys dress down a bit and still look very fashionable with brogues. However, I just am not comfortable with that look.

That being said, if you plan on dressing up (smart-casual or higher fashion), I would get skinnier toes that are still round.
    If you plan on dressing down, I would say that a slightly rounder (larger) shoe is doable.

Do what you feel comfortable with. After all, you're the one wearing it!

Style Icon
    Brogues are like any other shoe, in my opinion, and they shouldn't make you feel like you're wearing clown shoes. I'm not the tallest of guys either (174 cm), so I know what you mean. Bottom line, you should feel comfortable wearing them.

That said, don't be afraid to push yourself a bit. I find I change my mind a lot of the time, when for example trying out colours I don't normally wear, if I can just try it for a day. I was unsure of my first pair of brogues (a pair of brown Loake Chester), but at the end of the day I'd gotten two complements for my shoes, which had never happened before!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I know that many guys dress down a bit and still look very fashionable with brogues.
    I usually wear brown brogues with jeans, shirt+tie and a thin knit, tight sweater and/or a blazer.

Trend Setter
    Cheers guys.
    I hate Ted Baker's no refund policy - otherwise I would have bought them to experiment with at home, might just try them on in store again.
    I was planning on dressing them down rather than wearing them with a suit.

Trend Setter
    As much as I loved the TB ones their slightly chunckiness made them look too big.
    Ended up getting a pair of Brogues from Office.

+ Reply to Thread