FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Will Brogues Become Old Hat?

Brogues have been massive for the last two years - everyone is wearing them.

But whilst the Brogue is considered a classic or timeless shoe, is it in danger of over-exposure and perhaps becoming old hat?

The reason I ask is I'm looking at an investment pair of shoes and its a straight two-horse race between a new pair of Brogues (probably Barker) or a pair of Double Monks (probably Meermin).
    I already own a pair of tan brogues but they are just from the high street and was considering upgrading them but its clear Brogues have been massive for a couple of years now and I'm wondering whether they may drop-off soon and I'd be better investing in some good Monks instead?

Thoughts/opinions welcome!

Nat

Style Icon
    I know they are very popular on here, but in my opinion, the double monk is just a silly looking shoe. There. I said it.

Brogues may go out of fashion, but not style.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I know they are very popular on here, but in my opinion, the double monk is just a silly looking shoe. There. I said it.
    Thanks you! I thought it was just me. I think they look like shoes for people who never learned to tie the laces.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Brogues may go out of fashion, but not style.
    Second.

Trend Setter
    I don't particularly like brogues, but they aren't ever going to become old hat. It's a look that's always been about and always will.

Double monks, on the other hand, are currently trendy but probably won't be in ten years time.

Brogues are definitely a safer bet than monks

I think both will be firmly ensconced in the fashion realm for a long time to come though - we really do seem to have come around to these things a lot more and I don't think it is a fleeting affair.

Trend Setter
    Thanks for the opinions chaps.

I think I will go for the Barker's - John Lewis have some beautiful ones in.

+ Reply to Thread