FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

How to wear tan brogues..?

Hey guys,

Just joined up as I have a question you may be able to help me with.

I've recently once again started paying attention to what I wear. Since I'm nearing 30 I thought it was about time I stopped dressing like I'm in my early 20s...

As part of this I purchased a pair of tan brogues to help me smarten up, specifically the Grenson Dylan. Part of my reasoning for choosing this shoe was my understanding that a tan brogue is a very versatile shoe and could be worn with a variety of outfits/trousers. My problem is my experience since purchasing is that it doesn't seem to go with very many of my outfits at all!

So my questions are:

1) what are the traditional/usual items worn with a pair of tan brogues;
    2) should I consider turning them to a darker shade of brown to make them more versatile and, if so, how should I go about it, i) buy some dark polish, ii) take them to a cobbler?

Any other thoughts or advice anyone has is also very welcome!

Many thanks.

Nat

Style Icon
    Why would you buy a beautiful shoe like that, then change its colour?! Tan brogues are great for a smart-casual outfit. It's just that they are a bit of a statement shoe (even though they are revered , they are still not that common with the general public) and you are probably just not used to how they look. They are great with things like slim indigo jeans, oxford shirts, knitwear etc. My personal favourite way to wear them is with grey tweed/woolen trousers

What stuff are you wearing them with mate?

It might just be that you need to get used to them.

If you are still wearing your "early 20s" clothes such as (I'm guessing) hoodies & baggy jeans, obv that's not going to work. You need to be wearing them with stuff like Nat has posted above, although there are lots of other styles that the brogues will go with.

You may also find them more versatile when they have been worn in a bit - I know I get more use out of my distressed-style footwear for casual use.

No I wasn't wearing them with hoodies and baggy jeans! Although, I might now, just to see what it looks like.

I think you're both right about getting used to them. I wore them with a pair of slim grey chinos, a super-slim white shirt and a black denim sports jacket when I popped out shopping last night - each time I caught myself in the mirror they seemed a bit more "natural". As you mentioned, Nat, they are a bit of a statement shoe; sometimes it's surprising seeing a statement you're not used to on your own feet!

I guess, as well as getting used to their look, I need to spend a bit of time learning which clothes that feel like "me" can be paired with them.

Thanks for your help.

Trend Setter
    I find tan brogues with grey trousers can be quite a harsh look, Im not sure why though, for versatility id invest in navy.

Start off with navy trousers (hate the word chinos, so many negative connotations now), that or slim fitting indigo jeans. Wear a neutral outfit, white shirt and perhaps navy layering.

I just bought a new navy suit actually. I'll try them out with it next week.

+ Reply to Thread