FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Casual Summer Shoes

I am looking for the perfect pair of summer shoes. I don't even know where to begin. Am I looking for a simple pair of trainers? Are boat shoes still in style? Flip-flops? Sandals? What shoes will you wear with shorts this summer? When you throw on some chinos, will that change? Help a brother out!

Style Icon
    I'm not sure there's a single perfect pair of summer shoes to be honest. Personally, this summer I'll be wearing tassel loafers, desert boots, Converse and espadrilles with my shorts (loafers & DBs with chinos).

Style Icon
    A solid pair of leather sandals is always good to have. I bought a pair similar to these last year:

After getting over the fact that they look like something my physics teacher in high school would wear, I love them! Comfortable, keeps the feet cool, and durable. They'll last me at least two more years.

Last summer I also bought a pair of Fred Perry light canvas shoes, like these:
    Fred Perry - Finn Chambray Plimsoll
    I thought I'd wear through the soles in one season, but they still look brand new, so I'll wear them this summer as well.

A pair of thicker soled sneakers is good to have though. Even though the Fred Perry shoes are comfortable I wouldn't want to do more than a day or two walking in them. In fact, I'd rather walk in the sandals, as they're better for my feet, but with Swedish (and UK) summers being unpredictable, you can't rely totally on them.

Part from the Fred Perry, sandals and thicker soled sneakers (that I need to buy) I've got my trusty 'ol Converse (who'll probably do their last season, will have to get new ones for next year). And that's about it for summer specific shoe wardrobe. Most of the stuff worn in spring can be worn on the colder summer days as well, but on really warm days you need the thinner lighter shoes.

Fashionisto
    Thank you both for some guidance. I live in the southern part of USA so summers are generally very predictable--hot enough to melt your popsicle. I just bought a pair of ASOS Plimsoll's and might rock them for a few months. It's frustrating because I try to look in the articles on Fashion Beans for pictures that include shorts and shoes on a model and have a hard time finding them. Most pictures cut off before I can see the shoe! Driving me crazy. So, your advice is extremely helpful!

Trend Setter
    This summer I'm wearing my Converse Jack Purcell and my ASOS boat shoes that I got last year. Maybe I'll buy a pair of cheap espadrilles or another pair of boat shoes (probably Sperry) if I have the extra cash lying around...

I think I'm going to invest in a pair of driving style shoes like this

MOCCASIN WITH BOW - Shoes - Man - ZARA United Kingdom

And maybe some other slip ons.

Espadrilles / Leather Sandals / Boat Shoes / Tassel Loafers / Slipper Loafers / Plimsolls / Nike Airs will all be gracing my feet this summer.

I am most looking forward to breaking these out:

They are made of rubber so will be awesome summer holiday shoes!

+ Reply to Thread