FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Brogue boots with velvet jacket?

Hey, I have recently bought a black velvet jacket that I am planning on wearing to a black tie event. Yet I'm unsure on the shoes, I love boots so was thinking of some brogue boots, would these go? I understand that loafers are popular with velvet jackets but I don't fancy those. Also, what sort of trousers would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Trend Setter
    I would say go for it; however if you are to wear brogues I would suggest purchasing an oxblood - coloured pair as they are more versatile. (In my opinion). Failing that you could play it safe with some derbys or oxfords.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Hey, I have recently bought a black velvet jacket that I am planning on wearing to a black tie event. Yet I'm unsure on the shoes, I love boots so was thinking of some brogue boots, would these go? I understand that loafers are popular with velvet jackets but I don't fancy those. Also, what sort of trousers would you guys recommend?

Thanks!
    If it's a black tie event then black trousers, preferably dinner trousers with the satin stripe down the side if you have them, and shined black oxfords. Brogue boots are a bit too casual. If you really want to wear boots then black chelseas are sleek and smart enough to work.

Yeah I don't know about brogues for proper black tie... How serious is the black tie code though? 90% of the time nowadays it just means a suit to most people.

I would wear it with a smart white shirt, some light grey suit trousers and burgundy dress slippers. Finish off with a knitted silk bow tie in black, burgundy or white, and a white silk pocket square, and you will have yourself a heavy hitting look for the dance imo

Thanks guys! It's for a formal school ball

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sheep Boy View Post
    If it's a black tie event then black trousers, preferably dinner trousers with the satin stripe down the side if you have them, and shined black oxfords. Brogue boots are a bit too casual. If you really want to wear boots then black chelseas are sleek and smart enough to work.
    Good advice.

Black tie footwear should be plain and sleek. Brogues aren't generally thought of as being quite right - the pattern interrupts the shiny surface of polished leather. On the other hand, Prince William wore shoes with some broguery on them for his wedding evening reception, so perhaps that's changing.

Some advise patent leather for black tie, but, personally, I really don't like it. If you don't fancy plain oxfords and want to wear boots then I have worn Chelsea boots and chukka boots before and not felt out of place - just be sure they are well polished.

+ Reply to Thread