FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

ASOS brogues

I've had my eye on the brogues below for a couple of days, while pondering new summer foot wear.

ASOS | ASOS Brogues With Micro Sole at ASOS

At 40 I'm not expecting much quality, in fact that's the point - I just want a different/statement shoe for summer, that I don't have to worry about ruining with a bit of sand and salt water. I already have what I need in lighter wear, such as plimsolls and sandals, so this is really just to get something out of the ordinary.

Before I make my final decision I figured I'd ask here if anyone's got any experience with ASOS shoes? Even if it's only 40, I don't want to end up with shoes that are unwearably uncomfortable.

THM

Fashionisto
    I've got numerous pairs of ASOS shoes including some of their brogues, though not the ones in your photo. They're good value in my opinion. Not exceptional but I've not had any real faults with them. The sizing seems to vary slightly between different shoe types and the all seem to suffer from loose inner soles but no biggy.

I've found their brown leather looks a lot better once they've had some decent polish put on them too.

Style Icon
    Yes, I imagine the brown leather bits will require constant brushing up, but I've got good polish for that. And, as I said, I don't mind them taking a beating.

My biggest concern is how comfortable they are, and whether I'll be able to walk for hours in them - I like long cty walks.

I think I'll take a chance, and put an order in tonight.

Style Icon
    And by tonight, I seem to have meant "in 20 minutes".

I'll let you know what I think of them when they get here.

THM

Fashionisto
    It's more about the colour of the brown leather. It's a very even and flat looking mid brown (on mine anyway) but a polish with a decent dark tan really brings them out and makes them look more expensive. I've worn other ASOS shoes 50+ hours a week for months on end. For me, they took a day or two to break them in but then they're fine.

For what it's worth, these are the brogues I have: http://www.asos.com//Asos/Asos-Shoes-With-Brogue-Toe-Cap/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2929546

Style Icon
    I see what you mean.

Those brogues are in the same price range as the ones I ordered, so I'm guessing the quality will be about the same.

Style Icon
    I've owned ASOS brogues and my complaint with them is, as mentioned, the look of the leather. It's very lifeless and a bit cheap looking, although a skilled application of the right polish can cure this defect. Shouldn't be an issue with these I imagine.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Fashionisto
    Really interested in what you think to these. Looking for a comfortable casual shoe to wear to and from work this summer and these could be it.

They are pretty much the first micro sole type shoe I have seen that doesn't look ridiculous to me.

Style Icon
    First impression: Expectations surpassed. The expectations were very low to begin with, mind. The colours are slightly darker than they appear on the pictures at ASOS.

I did expect the soles to be slightly softer, like the crepe soles on Clark's desert boots. And speaking of Clark's desert boot, I'm a size 9 in Clark's desert boots, and these at size 9 are pretty much the exact same fit. I almost wish there was a little more room, so I could put a slightly softer inner sole in them. The ones that come with are, I'm not going to say hard, but I'd like them slightly softer. Apart from that, I think they're very comfortable.

All in all, I like them, and at 40 I think they're good value for money. I'm not expecting them to last years and years, but there are plenty of shoes at twice the price, which are a lot worse in quality.

I wore them to a get together yesterday, and got several complements on them!

+ Reply to Thread