FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Cowboy Boots Fitting

Hi. I got a new pair of Justin Men's bent rail boots for about $100. My feet fit snugly in the instep. The only problem is that my ankle up to my calf has way too much room. It looks like I have chicken legs. I work out and bike or run 25 minutes a day, so it's not like they're thin or fat. It's muscle. I can fit my hand in the gap.<br><br>I've heard that cowboy boots: shrink to mold the size and shape of your feet and leg / stretch&nbsp;to mold the size and shape of your feet and leg. You have to figure it can't be both. If I go down a half size, I won't get the bit of heel slip that I'm supposed to and the instep will be too tight. But this seems out of whack. Is this normal? Should I try to wear the boots in?<br><br>Pic related, it's what I'm talking about.

Last edited by No, this is Patrick; 09-07-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Pics didn't display

Nat

Style Icon
    Wow, that is a bold choice of footwear Patrick! At least here in the UK.

I seem to remember seeing/hearing something about how cowboys used to put their new boots on, soak them, then wear them constantly for weeks, until they shrank and molded to their feet and legs. Is that an option?! Less than practical when you have a 9-5 job and share a bed with the missus, I'm guessing!

Thanks! I was talking to an English friend about it and he remarked that they seemed uncool to him. I explained the association with rugged toughness they had thanks to Hollywood Westerns with John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda and the rest of the guys.

They look a bit less odd with a pair of boot-cut jeans over them. I'm a big fan of the pointed-square toe and pointed toe shoes in general. Monks Shoes are a favorite of mine.

I wouldn't bet the calves of these are going to shrink up much, even with breaking in. Although, if you're wearing them under pants, I'm not sure that particular aspect of the fit should bother you. You could always take your boots to a local cobbler to see if he/she could do anything!

+ Reply to Thread