FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Most versatile shoe!? .. Monk strap!?

OK I mostly wear trainers or desert boots. I do have one or two cheapo pairs of brogues off ASOS and I had a pair of wingtips from Reiss a few years back.

I want to invest in a pair of proper shoes, therefore I want something comfortable durable and versatile. With regards to what I would wear them with I would wear them with jeans, chinos or wool trousers. I don't own any full suits. The most formal I get is grey trousers with navy blazer (that is a rare occurence but i do need them for that!).

First thing is colour: Tan, Brown or black? I'm leaning towards brown for versatility.

Second thing is style: Toe cap, Brogue, or Monk strap? I'm leaning towards monk strap.

Loake English shoes are the ones I am thinking of getting.

My only concern is are monk shoes just a passing trend? because then they aren't such a good investment :S

Given my criteria what woudl you guys get?

Trend Setter
    IMO I'd still go for a proper brogue, even though you've already got a couple of cheaper pairs. Brogues are much more timeless than monk straps, because honestly I don't know what's the big fuss about them. They're just another trend in my eyes.

If you were willing to shell out for Loake, then I'd go for a tan brogue or the all so popular Grenson Stanley. (They're popular for a reason!)

Style Icon
    Tan or black is the most versatile in my opinion, though of course it depends a little on the shade of brown.

Monk straps are very much in trend right now, but honestly I'm not a fan myself. And I don't think you should get monk straps as you first quality pair of shoes.

I think, as your first pair, you should go for a pair of oxfords in tan or black, like these:
    Loake English shoes

When it comes to brogues I think tan or brown is the best. With black there's usually not much of a contrast in the brogue pattern, making it less interesting compared to tan brogues. I own a pair of these in tan:
    Loake English shoes

But as I said, toe cap should be your choice for first pair, imho.

Trend Setter
    Grenson Dylan would be a good choice of brogue.

I acutally want to support your preference. Investing in something that you are leaning toward might be a better idea than going for a super safe choice. Brown monk-strap is also a safe choice, even though there is a tad chance of going out of trend. I bought two brown brogues a long time ago because at that time, brogues were considered the king of shoes. I still like them, but wish I bought something that I wanted (I wanted to buy yellow brogues from Florsheim). Thus, you should not regret like me, and choose brown monk strap! They are classic and versatile like brogues anyway, and will give you more pop than brogues.

Nat

Style Icon
    Colour-wise, brown is the most versatile, not only because it goes with lots of other colours, but also because it works in most situations, except perhaps the most formal. You haven't really said what situations you will be in, but unless it's very dressy, brown is the best.

Style-wise, for versatility, it has to be the humble derby. Toe caps (oxfords etc) are nice, but quite formal. Brogues can be lovely (tan Greson Stanleys...drool), but can be a bit full-on when you want to be understated. I love some styles of loafers, but again you can't wear them in every situation.

And monk straps just need to die.

Trend Setter
    I am a big fan of monk straps, but would not suggest them as your first quality pair of shoes. Go for some brogues. The Grenson Dylan is a good choice, as someone has already suggested. As well as Loake and Grenson take a look at Meermin.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Style-wise, for versatility, it has to be the humble derby. Toe caps (oxfords etc) are nice, but quite formal.
    True, but I think this can speak to the oxfords benefit. Oxfords can be worn with a casual outfit and also with a formal suit, while the derby would look slightly off in a more formal surrounding.

This argument will of course only have bearing if you ever plan to wear the shoes with a formal suit. Otherwise it can be disregarded.

+ Reply to Thread