FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

What loafers to buy?! Keep conservative or be refreshing...

Hello there!

Since loafers are such a beautiful addition to any gentleman's wardrobe I really want to buy one this year. 2014, new year, new shoes! Loafers are so easy and they really make a statement. I just wish buying them was easy, because i'm having a hard time right now.

I've come across two loafers I really really like. I might just as well say i fell in love. Only problem, i fell in love with two! However, there's a clear difference between the two. Firstly, I came across a beautiful Magnanni tassel loafer. Pointy nose, small shoe-last and beautiful colours. Second loafer is a more conservative Tod's penny loafer. Beautiful colours, rubber sole and comfort I never felt before. This shoe is not as small, it's rather plumb, which is retro at the same time.

I really don't know which one to buy, they're such beautiful shoes! What do you think?

Magnanni 14081

Tod's penny loafer

JEK

Trend Setter
    Personally, I would choose Tod's penny loafer.
    Regards
    Johan

Trend Setter
    I'd prefer the Tod's, too, as I am not a fan of the pointed tips. However, I also think they'd be more versatile!

Trend Setter
    Out of those two I'd buy the Tod's, but personally I'd go for a pair of Bass Weejuns instead.

I prefer the top ones. But I agree with Merc, some Weejuns would be better.

Trend Setter
    I prefer the Magnannis, though my current go-to for loafers at the moment is Stemar.

A penny loafer is however a versatile choice and less prone to the vagaries of fashion than the Magnanni loafer, which will probably be seen as a bit naff in a few years...

Fashionisto
    Thanks for the comments! I chose to buy the Tod's penny loafers. Main reason I prefer these above the Magnanni's is the timelessness connected with these shoes as PinkestFlamingo already wrote. As I'm able to get an excellent discount from work, the Weejuns also dropped behind.

I added a pic for those interested.

(Tod's penny loafers, Falke pied-de-poule socks, dark green Zara slim-fit structured trousers, Mille Milano camel v-neck sweater)
    Last edited by Mathew; 08-01-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew View Post
    Thanks for the comments! I chose to buy the Tod's penny loafers. Main reason I prefer these above the Magnanni's is the timelessness connected with these shoes as PinkestFlamingo already wrote. As I'm able to get an excellent discount from work, the Weejuns also dropped behind.

I added a pic for those interested.

(Tod's penny loafers, Falke pied-de-poule socks, dark green Zara slim-fit structured trousers, Mille Milano v-neck sweater)
    Good choice going for the Tod's. Very smart looking.

Trend Setter
    Agreed, they look better on you than they do in the stock picture.

Look quite soft too, which is far better than those stiff, grandad/orthopaedic-looking loafers you sometimes see around.

+ Reply to Thread