FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Shoe trees in boots...?

Hi all

Splashed on a pair of Redwing 9162 which are on there way to me. I want to try look after them as much as poss as they seriously broke the bank, but know they will last years if cared for. They are in the "hawthorne muleskinner" Suede leather, which i know need to be looked after and i know from previous boots can crease and warp really easily.

My question is has anyone tried putting shoe trees in boots?? Would some some standard cedar ones from jones for example do the trick or are there other specific ones for boots of this type?? Any advice is much appreciated.

Yes, I've got shoe trees in all of my boots and shoes.

They'll help keep the shape etc. I just use standard cedar shoe trees and not boot trees and they work fine as you don't have to worry about the top too much as they don't normally get too wet.

Style Icon
    Yes, shoe trees are a definitive must if you want the shoes to last a long time. They'll limit the creasing, help keep shape, and if you get a pair of proper cedar ones, they'll help to dry out faster and keep any foot odour at a minimum.

I also suggest you get a good rain guard, and go absolutely crazy with it. Give the boots a good spraying at least a couple of times with it. This'll make it a lot easier to clean them when they get dirty. Don't forget to let them breathe. Only wear them one day, then let them rest for at least 24 hours (pref 48) before you use them again.

And, might I add, beautiful boots!

Fashionisto
    Awesome thanks for the help, any recommendations on a good place to get some cedar shoe trees for relatively cheap?? Yea been looking into a water proof and protection for them, heard alot of other people on other forums raving about an american product "obernaufs heavy duty lp" so was going to try get my hands on some of that.

+ Reply to Thread