FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Looking into buying my first pair of boots

Hello once again guys, it's me looking for some help once again...

Anyway, I'm turning 19 years old on sunday and I'm looking to getting my first pair of boots.

This is still a big step for me as I've basically lived my teenage years decked out in skateboarding trainers.

I'm basically going to be using them for going to school(if i don't feel like wearing the standard converse) and just hanging out with friends on the weekend or something casual that I can pair with some typical skinny jeans and chinos.

I've done a bit of research, and I like the look of brogue boots, but sometimes I just can't shake the feeling of it looking 'too smart' and maybe looking a bit too mature or masculine which has been a big problem for me when I'm looking to buy smarter shoes and having to shake the "something my dad would probably wear" feeling I get a lot.

I also really like the styles mentioned in the article Key Men’s Boot Styles For AW13 | FashionBeans and the "fracap scarponcini" boots on the top of the article.

I also took a look at allsaints and I really like the styles there too!

I'd really love some advice for you guys because I honestly don't want to invest a lot of money into a pair of boots I'll probably regret buying and never wearing again.

Cheers as always,
    -Jonathan
    Last edited by overtoad; 24-02-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Fashionisto
    I would have a look, and do some more research, try and find boots and styles that your like and want to make your own. Look online to see the boots in the wild, worn with what outfits. I would say that a good pair of boots would be a sound investment, and with quality leather they will look better with age.

Again if you can afford it, go for some boots that are goodyear welted so that you can get them resoled in the future.

Also on the smart-casual spectrum I would go for a classic style, toe cap or elegant brouging. Going for a grain leather makes it more casual, and lighter shades such as tan.

Moreover, if you want something that is in-between stylish and has the heritage have a look at End's collaboration with Trickers.

END. x Tricker’s Spring ’14 Collection « End Clothing Blog

Die, Workwear! - Shoe Options for Rainy Days

Fashionisto
    Cheers, I'll probably have to invest a bit more time into it before purchasing. I imagine it's better to wear boots during A/W time anyway, rather than S/S like we are approaching now so it's not that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by overtoad View Post
    Hello once again guys, it's me looking for some help once again...

I also really like the styles mentioned in the article Key Men’s Boot Styles For AW13 | FashionBeans and the "fracap scarponcini" boots on the top of the article.
    That's a really awesome list. Choose the ones that suite your requirements the most. They all look great.
    Working at M. Kenny's Fashions - Bespoke Tailors

Hello all, hope you dont mind me hijacking this thread.

I've come accross these for half price and considering investing in a pair for the autumn/winter months. I've fallen hook, line and sinker for the heritage aspect of Dr Martens. They are also made from British Millerain fabric. Opinions please? I'm looking for a pair of hardwearing but practicial boots that I can wear on cold days out at the football etc. Do they look the part, or am i being ridicilous..

Thanks

Last edited by DanGleballs; 28-05-2014 at 10:43 PM.

@DanGleballs got those same ones in the winter for around 60 quid, i suggest you buy them as they are waterproof and come with extra wax (atleast mine did!). However they are an absolute bastard to break in so they take some time to get used to. Pretty versatile too.

Hf94, thanks for the reply mate, much appreciated!

Did youhave this colour (i know there was a darker shade availble too, but looks like that is sold out). Is the colour in that pic a true likeness? (just wondering about versatility...

NP mate, ive got a slightly darker coloured one that is darker brown not the lighter one you've shown. I reckon the picture you showed are true to colour and they should be pretty versatile if your wardrobe is right, a quick google of "Dr Martens Lark" will show you how it looks

Fashionisto
    Interesting choices outlined above. Personally I find brogues a little but too formal for a boot, but that may well just be me.

To the OP - Consider a desert boot for summer. I practically live in mine, and you can get them in some really funky colours too.
    Last edited by Kessler; 29-05-2014 at 11:48 PM.
    @eph89

+ Reply to Thread