FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

A/W Boot Advice

So I'm on the lookout for some new boots for this coming Autumn/Winter (Winter particularly), and I'm looking for some advice, or some direction on where I might best direct my efforts.

I know in an ideal world I would want:
    -Brown
    -Versatile enough to look good with anything from jeans to cords to a tweed jacket (if that's possible)
    -Tough enough to survive being worn regularly in Michigan winters
    -Not needlessly bulky
    -Not a toe-pincer
    -In the ballpark of $150 (Maybe as much as $200)

Any thoughts or ideas?

Style Icon
    ASOS has got a couple of nice looking H by Hudson boots on sale at the moment, which I've had my eye on myself. H by Hudson may not be best quality ever, but at these prices they're a great buy.

H By Hudson | H By Hudson Leather Brogue Boots at ASOS
    H By Hudson | H By Hudson Hughes Shearling Lined Brogue Boots at ASOS

Trend Setter
    Take note of the sole is my number one tip. This is bulkiness that is needed and plays into the winter look.

Commando soles look amazing.

Style Icon
    Just noticed one of my tips has run out of stock and the other one doesn't ship to the US...

Hmmm, I do rather like those, particularly the first ones. And at that price, too! But yeah, they won't ship to the US. Maybe I can find them somewhere else at that kind of price...

So what I'm hearing, McCoy, is that I should NOT get leather soles for winter! I suppose that is good thinking, as I forsee whatever I get will see a good deal of mud and snow. I think I would feel squeamish about exposing leather soles to all that. Whatever I get needs to be tough enough for everyday use.

That being said, I also do like some of these: Boots
    Though the gore boots and chukkas are not what I'm going for, I do like some of the others... even if they are at the upper end of my price range. Lots of leather soles, though.

Des

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Earendur View Post
    So what I'm hearing, McCoy, is that I should NOT get leather soles for winter! I suppose that is good thinking, as I forsee whatever I get will see a good deal of mud and snow. I think I would feel squeamish about exposing leather soles to all that. Whatever I get needs to be tough enough for everyday use.
    Its just that you'll have rubbish traction especially in those conditions. Also just as important if you can get a decent welt construction you'll be laughing

Style Icon
    Though the gore boots and chukkas are not what I'm going for, I do like some of the others... even if they are at the upper end of my price range. Lots of leather soles, though.
    I'm not sure why they even make winter boots with leather soles. Slippery when it's wet, even slipperier when it's icy, they can't take that much damp, and they're too thin for the cold ground. You can go get a rubber sole fitted on top of the leather sole, but that'll cost extra, and they'd still be more sensible to damp than a boot that comes with a rubber sole to start with.

Definitely go for a robust rubber sole. Michigan, like Sweden, can get a fair share of snow, and personally I don't see anything wrong with rougher winter boots paired with office wear. It's just part of the winter season, imo.

When the weather permits nothing else, I take the old army boots to the office.

Don't know if I've ever mentioned it, Marc, but I like your style!

Trend Setter
    I genuinely feared for my life the winter before last when I had to walk home, in the snow and ice, in a pair of formal H by Hudson boots with a smooth leather sole. It was down a few massive hills and over some very busy roads too. Meanwhile my wimpy girlfriend claimed it was too icy to come and pick me up in the car - despite the fact that the roads were fine and it was the pavements that were a death trap! I even walked in the road when I could, but being in a town/city that wasn't possible very often.

It was a salutary lesson!

Style Icon
    Don't know if I've ever mentioned it, Marc, but I like your style!
    Cheers, mate!

+ Reply to Thread