FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Shoes with a wedding usher suit

Hey guys,

Ill be an usher at a wedding next week, and am not really a fan of the suit.

Its a grey suit with tails and I dont own black shoes to go with it so need to find some, what would you wear with this?

As you can see, the only photo they have on the website is a kid in who has velcro shoes (not quite my style)

would be good to keep budget low as I dont really wear black shoes, but they need to be good looking and comfy too as its a long day.

Cheers

W

Style Icon
    Get the cheapest thing that looks half ok then, if it's just for the one day/evening. Just make sure it looks the part.

Like these, on sale and all.

ASOS | ASOS Derby Shoes at ASOS

Style Icon
    Actually, if I may try to persuade you to buy something a bit more solid. You might want to get something decent, you don't know when you'll need a pair of black formal shoes again. It might be sooner than you think. I never used to wear black formal shoes until I got a nice looking pair a couple of years ago. Now, I use them quite a lot for smart casual looks.

Here are some examples that I think would go well with the usher suit, but would work in less formal looks as well.

Hugo Boss | Hugo Boss Black Urannio Oxford Toe Cap Shoes at ASOS
    New Look | New Look Oxford Shoe at ASOS
    ALDO | Aldo Oxford Shoes at ASOS

Quote Originally Posted by MarcLager View Post
    Actually, if I may try to persuade you to buy something a bit more solid. You might want to get something decent, you don't know when you'll need a pair of black formal shoes again. It might be sooner than you think. I never used to wear black formal shoes until I got a nice looking pair a couple of years ago. Now, I use them quite a lot for smart casual looks.

Here are some examples that I think would go well with the usher suit, but would work in less formal looks as well.

Hugo Boss | Hugo Boss Black Urannio Oxford Toe Cap Shoes at ASOS
    New Look | New Look Oxford Shoe at ASOS
    ALDO | Aldo Oxford Shoes at ASOS
    Thanks Marc, I found these;
    ASOS | ASOS Derby Shoes in Leather at ASOS

I like the touch of brown on the sole, so may try them, and get a similar belt.

The thing im not fully confident on is that the trousers are a straight cut, but feel quite baggy to me. The other ushers are all 6'+ and im around 5'8" so the suit is a lot more "square" fitting on me, and the trousers seem to fit them a lot nicer than on me, so I dont want to shoes to look too thin in the leg, but too bulky for my frame.

Any type of black classic shoes would be fine?

Trend Setter
    Stick with the classic plastic uppers and double velcro monk straps.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by JustWayne View Post
    The thing im not fully confident on is that the trousers are a straight cut, but feel quite baggy to me. The other ushers are all 6'+ and im around 5'8" so the suit is a lot more "square" fitting on me, and the trousers seem to fit them a lot nicer than on me, so I dont want to shoes to look too thin in the leg, but too bulky for my frame.
    Can you get the trousers tailored to fit you? Wouldn't cost too much, and might make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcLager View Post
    Get the cheapest thing that looks half ok then, if it's just for the one day/evening. Just make sure it looks the part.

Like these, on sale and all.

ASOS | ASOS Derby Shoes at ASOS
    i totally agree with you

I decided on a pair of ASOS black shoes, pretty cheap but not quite the classic velcro double monk ,Paired up with a few extra beers I didnt mind them.

The suit was all rented so couldnt do anything with it, in the end I wore my own better fitting shirt so that slimmed down the outfit a bit on top.

This weekend I have a friends wedding that I am just a guest at, so have gone for a new Zara blaser

Ill be teaming it with a white shirt, my Loake brogues in tan, knitted tie (red or navy, havent decided yet) and some navy fitted chinos.

* The collar will be worn down

+ Reply to Thread