FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Driving Shoes; Horrendously Impractical?

Safe FB

I have some Hilfiger Suede Driving Shoes that I bought a year ago and have seldom worn. Not because they are uncomfortable or unfashionable; quite the opposite. They have both characteristics in bucketloads. The reason that they seldom get worn, is because they have a sole like this:

(these are not my ones, mine are navy and burgundy, surprisingly for Hilfiger)

Now, I wonder, does anyone else have a similar pair of shoes? How/where/when do you wear them? Should I just stop worrying about it, and sacrifice them to the fashion gods by wearing them heedlessly? Or should I nurture them, only wearing them in carpeted corridoors or marbled mansions?

If it makes a difference, I got them in an American outlet mall for an insanely low price. $20 or something.

Drop some science on me, broughs.

Fashionisto
    With a sole like that it looks like you will be sticking to marbled mansions and carpeted corridors. You could of course use them for driving, you would just have to bring a spare pair to change into when you want to get out.

Contradictory to the above points I actually reckon you could get away with wearing them in the summer when the ground is hard, just as long as you stick to level ground. I certainly wouldn't advise on any spontaneous mountaineering/spelunking.
    Last edited by Seekwal; 24-01-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: poor grammar, forgive me

I really had my heart set on a summer of spelunking

There goes my 2012

I suppose what I'm really wondering is: Will they be totally useless when they look a bit ruined? Or could it be a cool look?

I'm kind of thinking that they would have some authentic heritage/preppy charm if they looked half destroyed

FashionBeans Staff
    I bought a pair of leather driving shoes from ASOS last summer for something like £15 and I've found myself wearing them quite a few times a week when i'm simply nipping to the shops or running errands. I usually pair them with slim chinos or trousers and a polo neck for a quick, comfortable and casual look.

They've actually lasted quite well and are suprisingly warm, even when worn sockless. The soles are a bit worn on one side (although that has yet to cause me any problems) but the upper part is still pretty much intact - I do try to take care of my footwear though.

Trend Setter
    I was going to buy some last season but never did and the rubber was one of the main reasons.
    This season I've decided I really want that style.
    So now just going to decide if I should get driving shoes or more of a loafer.
    e.g.

Quote Originally Posted by K9MT View Post
    I was going to buy some last season but never did and the rubber was one of the main reasons.
    This season I've decided I really want that style.
    So now just going to decide if I should get driving shoes or more of a loafer.
    e.g.
    Those are rad!

+ Reply to Thread