FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

What Am I Missing In My Shoe Cupboard?

Gentlemen, I would appreciate your assessment on my current shoe collection and seek advice on future purchases. I feel I am missing a real classic shoe, something that I can wear with jeans or chinos at a non-formal function.

* Tretorn Desert Boots- MEN Worldwide: Nice new Tretorn desert boots combined with a gum rubber outsole
    * Paul Smith leather trainers- Paul Smith Shoes | Osmo Trainer - Paul Smith UK
    * Camper suede shoe- CODI¬*by¬*Camper¬*-¬*This lightweight shoe features the Lenzi construction* that provides flexibility while its elasticized top-line makes it easywear. It comes in dark brown.
    * Tretorn trainers- Tretorn Rodlera Nylon Shoe - Men's - 2010 BCS from Backcountry.com
    * TOMS canvas slip on- Navy Canvas Classics | TOMS.com
    ...and finally 3 pairs of convers chucks- 1xwhite 1xnavy 1xred.

If it helps, I am 35, 6 foot 1 and skinny.

Any advice appreciated as I am struggling for inspiration here, not just with my search for a new shoe, but on how I can wear my current selection to stop from getting bored!

Thanks!

Jay

Style Icon
    You're missing actual shoes.

And as no FashionBeans forum shoe thread is complete without several mentions of them, I shall kick us off by suggesting you start with a simple brown brogue. A timeless classic and also bang on trend.

Fashionisto
    Thanks Jay. You are right, other than my work shoes- black leather loafers, I really am missing a good pair of shoes! Brogues will be my first step, what about a boot?

Trend Setter
    You seem to love sneakers! Jay nailed it with brogues to be fair, and as spring approaches maybe invest in a quality loafer.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyg View Post
    Thanks Jay. You are right, other than my work shoes- black leather loafers, I really am missing a good pair of shoes! Brogues will be my first step, what about a boot?
    I love brogue boots as well as shoes. My tan Grenson's boots are most worn item of footwear this AW. You can't go wrong with a classic black or brown chelsea boot either.

Sam

Style Icon
    Jay... we both know that's not true! What if you wear the latter with black trousers
    I agree totally though. Chelsea boots are my very favourite shoe, and they'll be appropriate in most of the same situations as brogues if you prefer them - but they're best by far when worn with slim or skinny trousers, anything else and they'll look a bit off.

Fashionisto
    Thank you gents, I appreciate the help here, it's nice to be able to throw a question out there and recieve some really helpful and constructive feedback. Very rare for an online forum!

I have always gravitated to more casual style shoes such as trainers, desert boots etc, but it is good to have some help getting me out of my comfort zone and exploring looks and styles that I may have been closed minded to. The following three have so far caught my eye, any feedback?

Thank you once again.

Trend Setter
    I'm not keen on any of those Paul Smith selections... The 'Chuck' ones are a nice shoe but not fussed on that colour. If you after a bargain then these Grenson Archie Tan are worth a peep.

My Hudson Angus Brogues are my most-worn item of footwear ever

They just get better with age, and the unstructured look means they are more suited to casual looks, and they also don't show wear so much.

Hiking-style boots are also a wrthwhile option if you prefer a casual look. I recently picked up an All Saints Pair and a Hudson pair in the sales, and I find they give a unique twist to many outfits, smartening up casual looks and adding an edge to smart looks.

This Hudson pair are reduced from £140 to £32 on Schuh:

Hudson GARRET HIKER BOOT BLACK LEATHER Shoes - Mens Boots Shoes - Office Shoes

Surely worth a punt at that price

The Schuh sale section in general is awesome for bargains too

Fashionisto
    Thank you Pin Money! I think you may have just sold me on the Hudson Angus Brogues. What a great looking shoe. Thanks also for the tip on Schuh, I had not been to that site before. I really appreciate your help.

+ Reply to Thread