FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

New shoes?! Help!

Today, on the coldest day of the year thus far, the leather laces on my boatshoes just snapped. They're getting pretty knackered now and I had to walk up to lectures in freezing weather in beat up espadrilles. It wasn't fun.
    Basically, I need advice on what new shoes to invest in.
    What I am interested in:
    Desert boots or shoes
    Boat shoes
    Something smart, but still suitable for most casual occasions
    MUST go with black jeans and coloured chinos

What I am not interested in:
    Any remotely bulky boots (including brogue and worker boots)

Advice and links would be awesome, cheers!

Sam

Style Icon
    Sounds like you need a pair of black chelsea boots - depending on the colour and fit of your chinos. If they're skinny and muted you can get away with it but if they're straight/relaxed and/or bold they won't work and you'll need a different pair.
    The trouble here is that you want something that can work with both black, and colours. It's hard because black trousers basically work with black shoes and not much else. And black shoes basically work with black trousers, grey trousers and not much else. I've had limited success with muted colours and that's about it.

Actually, I've had a thought - black and white leather shoes? Saddle shoes tend to be the choice for this, and have a cool 50s casual vibe, but they're not terribly easy to find. A black and white wingtip would be a good substitute, and a bit smarter with it.

Sam

Style Icon

Style Icon
    I really like all of those. Just to see what comes up, what if I scrap the idea of black jeans? That would lend itself to more variety. What shoes could you guys recomend that would go with blue jeans or coloured chinos?

Fashionisto
    I think Sam has it with the chelsea boots. Those were the only widely available boots I could think of meeting your requirements. Depending on the colour of your chinos, you could even opt for brown shoes.

Something like these would be an option, not quite as smart as chelsea boots, but probably more versatile with your casual wear: ASOS | ASOS Micro Sole Leather Chukka Boots at ASOS

I think I would need more detail on your casual wear to suggest much else. I can think of a few things, but depending on your casual style they could easily look out of place.

Trend Setter
    Just get some desert boots and some nice thick socks and roll those chinos up so they sit on the bulk of the sock. I have All Saints 'Ridge' desert boots which are quite expensive (I got them for £50 in one of their mad sales) or you can't really go wrong with Clark's desert boots, excellent quality for the money. Here's an old fashionbeans link for Desert boots... Men’s Spring Footwear Trend – The Desert Boot | Fashionbeans.com

Style Icon
    ASOS | ASOS Lace Up Desert Boots at ASOS
    Would these stone desert boots go with black?

Trend Setter
    Sorry but won't you be risking trench foot with boat shoes?

Sam

Style Icon
    Nath - it depends on who you ask. I'd say no personally, but this is a point of contention on the forums it seems! They're also not terribly seasonally appropriate. You should probably look for something chunkier, in real leather rather than suede.

+ Reply to Thread