FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last
    Jay

Style Icon

The Definitive Men's Brogues Thread

Brogue recommendations are popping up all over the place on this forum and rightly so. I'm a huge fan: they are smart, sturdy, traditional classics that work to smarten a casual outfit up or can be worn with a suit for 'some' formal occasions (depending on the style, I get away with them for work, for example).

So, this thread is to drool over the King of Shoes, the Brogue!

I'm in the market for a pair of new brogues come pay day (2 weeks exactly). I know I am in a very fortunate position, being a wee bit older than many on the forum and able to splash out occasionally (although I might not be able to eat for a week afterwards, but, hey, that's all good for the figure anyway).

I want them to be oxblood (not brown and not tan) and super shiny as I reckon they will be perfect for this AW heritage look that I rocking.

I've narrowed it down to two choices:

These:

Paul Smith Shoes | Chuck Brogue

Pros: Just look at them. They are gorgeous. Exactly the right colour, not too chunky (I don't want chunky) with a leather sole (no clunky tread) and with a beautiful shine.

Cons: The price.

Or these:

Stanley Brogues, Men's Shoes, Oxford Brogues, Leather Shoes, Handmade Shoes.

Pros: The price (£80 cheaper than the other anyway). Again, lovely looking a nice shine, but the colour isn't quite as rich as the others (but by no means awful). They will be incredibly well made.

Cons: The colour (a bit) and I already own a pair of the boots (in tan) which have the same detailing.

So, which ones?

And post photos of beautiful brogues!

Fashionisto
    I would go with the Paul smiths simply because you own those Grensons in a different colour. It is good to go with variation and the Paul smiths have a richer colour as well as shine. If I had the money I would spend the extra £80 to have something I would be completely happy with. You dont seem too convinced on the Grensons.

I am saving up to get these, saw them at Westfield and they are beautiful.

http://www.jonesbootmaker.com/main/d...ESTFIELD_2_Tan

Trend Setter
    I personally would go for the Paul Smith ones but I already own a pair of tan Grenson's.

These Church's are pretty hot also.. Church's*Patent Burwood Wingtip Brogues*|*MR PORTER

Sam

Style Icon
    Post pics of beautiful brogues you say?

By Jeffery West. Excessive and 80s and something I want. Probably an unhealthy thing to want but if I can ever afford Jeffery Wests I simply will not give a shit about dressing sensibly because I will be very rich!

Jay... we can't empathise with your financial position. All we can see is how great those Paul Smiths look. Do it

Jay

Style Icon
    I don't own the same Grensons in tan; just Grenson boots with similar detailing.

I've seen the Churches before, and my word they are simply divine and I would love to buy them, but my reason for posting was for folks to talk me into buying something cheaper than the Paul Smiths.

I'd half convinced myself to save myself £80 and buy the Grenson's but you lot are rubbish and I'm back to square one with the Paul Smiths all over again.

I love all the brogues posted so far. If I didn't own tan brogues, those Westfields would be on the wishlist. And I've seen those Jeffrey West ones too and always think they'd look wonderful with a suit (I much prefer a narrower shoe with a suit rather than the standard chunky brogue).

Trend Setter
    I guess you could look at the Loake 'Royal Brogue' in burgundy, but I don't think they match up to the PS you mentioned.

Shop Loake Royal Brogue
    eBay LOAKE ROYAL BROGUE eBay

Trend Setter
    Go for the Loakes!

Fashionisto
    yeah, those loakes are soo nice

Jay

Style Icon
    The Loakes are nice, but not shiny enough for what I'm going for: not in the same way as The PS, Grenson or Church brogues are.

I really want the Church brogues now when the idea was to get the price down (I won't buy the Church brogues though.)

Trend Setter
    Get these: Sharp Boots, Leather Boots, Grenson Boots, Men's Boots, Handmade Shoes.

They are similar to the Paul Smith's you want, but boots. Boot are cool because you can wear your trousers over them and they can fill in for shoes, but when people notice they are boots it adds a 19th century punk edge.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last