FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Shoe Trees?

Hey
    I am looking to purchase a few pairs of shoe trees to lengthen the life of my footwear but I'm not really sure what to look for.

Does anyone have any insights on them?

Should the shoe tree's be a tight fit or just slightly snug? Are they likely to stretch your shoes much? Double or single tube?

I have heard that cedar oozes sap which will stain however if I purchased a varnished cedar product they wouldn't do anything in terms of absorption or deodorisation unlike an unvarnished finish. The other way to go is plastic however I can't imagine they would do anything to absorb the moisture from shoes either?

help!

Style Icon
    I've got a couple of pairs of unvarnished red cedar, I'd never heard about them oozing sap, I thought they were generally regarded as best for shoes...
    Plastic certainly won't absorb moisture, probably even less so than varnished wood. Maybe try a different unvarnished wood if you're worried about cedar sap, beech or something perhaps?

Trend Setter
    I'm yet to invest in some shoe trees, but fully intend to soon. I have also only heard good things about cedar wood shoe trees, including here on Fashion Beans.

Muji do some reasonably priced ones.

Fashionisto
    Thanks lads,

I ended up going for a pair of premium double tube beech wood shoe trees. Much more solid than cedar ones and they are odourless. Rather than buying a few cheap pairs I'll just rotate these since you only really need to use them a few hours after wearing a pair of shoes.

Thanks anyway

Fashionisto
    I picked up a pair of TM Lewin shoe trees in Shelter (the charity shop) the other day for £4. Also picked up a bunch of shirts at £3 each (apparently TM Lewin give out of season returns to Shelter, the shirts were practically brand new!).

Afternoon all.
    First post on the forum so I hope you don;t think I'm spamming.

Having just brought myself some Grenson Lewis Brogue boots from their pop-up sale last week (£85 bargain !) I am/was in the market for shoe trees myself, I actually got some from Amazon (think they are the same as previosuly mentioned trees) but during my search I did come across this site. Handmade Leather Shoes - Mens Oxford Shoes - Oxford Shoes for Men , not only was I quite impressed with the range of shoes they do they also do these shoe trees. Cedar Shoe Trees - Gentlemen Prefer Brogues which look quite nice and for £20+postage they are reasonably priced.
    Has anyone else on the forum used this site at all?

+ Reply to Thread