FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Red face Need Boat Shoe Advice

OK so as part of my whole wardrobe innovation idea, I will be looking into the boat shoe and trying them out for this summer. I've been reading a lot of articles on the site and I've come to the conclusion that it's all gonna boil down to colour. I need a boat shoe that would be very versatile, and thus would go well with the majority of colours. For me, the 2 candidates are neutral colours: brown and navy. Also there appears to be 2 styles: with the laces tied like a normal shoe, and with the laces in an 'x' shape at the front, and then with the lace going round the shoe itself. I'm liking the latter more. Amazon.com: Rockport Men's Seaforthe Boat Shoe: Shoes (the one I like more, but I wish it was more blue-ish, as the navy seems too dark for summer) http://static.fashionbeans.com/wp-co...vibrammain.jpg They are also quite nice, but I don't have an idea on what they are. Any one knows? The thing is, I don't know which is better. I'm leaning onto the navy/blue colour more, but the brown seems more classy. Any suggestions, on what I should go with? I seem to be leaning to something similar to this in design and colour: (which doesn't cost like crazy tho) Quoddy*Leather Boat Shoes*|*MR PORTER Suggestions, or do I scrap the blue/navy thing all together?
    Last edited by malti001; 27-02-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Style Icon
    I'm not a huge fan of boatshoes, and I'm sure alot of people on this forum will agree with me. But that's just a personal thing. It's still a good look with some nice chino shorts.

I would recomend you looking into loafers. They're alot more mature and will set you apart alot more.

If you're still set on boatshoes, brown is a must for most shoes for me. Although I do like the MR Porter ones.

Trend Setter
    My advice would be buy something else.

I'd opt for a moccasin instead. or desert boots- they're my go to.
    “We have such a heritage in this country. People from other countries, all the R’n'B stars, they come to Savile Row and they’re in immaculate three-piece suits. Then you see British guys and they just can’t seem to dress. We have all these fashion agendas, punk and Vivienne Westwood and everything, but the queue seems to be at Abercrombie & Fitch down the road. That is just heartbreaking to me. Why does everyone want a polo shirt and three-quarter-length combat shorts?”
    David Gandy

Trend Setter
    Yeah this would be for the nautical trend that is present in every summer. I really don't like the look of moccasins tho. I was thinking of having a boat shoe together with my white converse as my to go summer shoes. The question is, would having a blue shoe restrict the colour scheme of my outfits?

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by malti001 View Post
    Yeah this would be for the nautical trend that is present in every summer. I really don't like the look of moccasins tho. I was thinking of having a boat shoe together with my white converse as my to go summer shoes. The question is, would having a blue shoe restrict the colour scheme of my outfits?
    I don't think so, if you're mainly planning on wearing them with shorts. I prefer brown as it looks a bit more grown up and smarter to me, which is always what I strive for.

Trend Setter
    I really think (and hope) the nautical trend is moving beyond this. I doubt it will be anything near as omnipresent as it has been over the past few seasons.
    “We have such a heritage in this country. People from other countries, all the R’n'B stars, they come to Savile Row and they’re in immaculate three-piece suits. Then you see British guys and they just can’t seem to dress. We have all these fashion agendas, punk and Vivienne Westwood and everything, but the queue seems to be at Abercrombie & Fitch down the road. That is just heartbreaking to me. Why does everyone want a polo shirt and three-quarter-length combat shorts?”
    David Gandy

Trend Setter
    If you must, it's got to be Sperry topsiders. But like they say above, boat shoes are best avoided.

My question would be - why go for a brown boat shoe over a brown loafer?
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

Sam

Style Icon
    You could opt for a midway point like a navy loafer. Boat shoe casual, loafer prep. The only sense in which a blue shoe would restrict your colour scheme would be insofar as your leatherwear is concerned; leather belts and watch straps would ideally be navy, although you could get away with a black variety of the latter.
    I love this navy loafer from Grenson:

If you do go for a loafer - which I also agree with whole-heartedly - I suggest you go for a penny style; it's more understated than the tassel loafer and more attainable than a snaffle-clasp variety, although if you can get the latter then go for it by all means. Whatever you do, don't get one with no such detailing whatsoever; personally I think they look dreadful.

The boat shoe isn't popular on here, but that's not to say you shouldn't go with it; it's a viable option, and a navy one, in leather, wouldn't necessarily be a bad choice. It would depend on how you styled it really; with socks, a printed tee or a checked shirt you'd be bound to look a little clueless. If you really played up the nautical, summery vibes though, you could make them look rather chic; striped tees, casual tailoring, a turned up trouser or two and a fashionable reluctance to wear visible socks and you could end up looking quite the nautical/Riviera dandy.

Trend Setter
    Being 17, I think that loafers are way too formal looking and that I would be uncomfortable when everyone is running around in trainers. So thus, I'm using the boat shoe as to try and differentiate myself from the crowd(I'm not trying to make HUGE steps that are out of my comfort zone, so the boat shoe looks like the perfect middleground between regular trainers and the more formal looking shoes-baby steps here); I've seen enough Fred Perry trainers for my lifetime. Also, why aren't boat shoes popular here? Is it because that everyone has one? Because, in my country(Malta isn't the most fashion forward country in the world LOL), I have yet to see ONE person wearing boat shoes. Now the boat shoes I'm trying to decide in buying are these 2: http://www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Boat-S...rt=-1&clr=Navy Navy, goes with everything right? Amazon.com: Sebago Men's Spinnaker Boat Shoe: Shoes (NAVY/WHITE/RED) Could this also work?
    Last edited by malti001; 28-02-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Trend Setter
    I agree that if you are going to go for a boat shoe then a classic like Sperry Topsiders in brown would be the best choice, such as this one:

http://www.sperrytopsider.com/common..._1_700x700.jpg

Those are the ones that I am hoping to get for the summer. I understand that they are often overdone, but I'm hoping to use them instead of converse and other canvas-type shoes, with shorts, in situations where I don't want to ruin a really nice pair of shoes, like the beach holiday I am dreaming of ha! I'm certainly not going to be wearing them with everything, or into the autumn/winter like some people seem to!

I'd also like a pair of Penny loafers, but am conscious that they will be considerably smarter than anything anyone around me is wearing, despite being in my thirties! So I can certainly appreciate your point about feeling out of place.

+ Reply to Thread