FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

The Definitive Men's Loafers Thread

Similar to Jay's thread about brogues I thought we could thrash out some chat about loafers - a shoe I have never owned but would like to include in my collection as an alternative to brogues and desert boots for that smart/casual look.

Personally, I'm looking for something a little different from the conventional black or brown, perhaps oxblood. But any killer loafer links would be well received.

Are loafers generally a spring / summer shoe?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Style Icon
    In a casual look they do have a bit of the Spring/Summer season but I think that the proper pair worn with care, usually in a smart look, can work all year round.
    In terms of product picks, I'm fond of these Topman/Marc Hares, although be wary of quality:

And these from Gucci (the ultimate loafers brand):

And a great casual alternative is, I think, the driving shoe, as exemplified by, um, Car Shoe:

So yes, I'm firmly a fan of loafers. I should probably buy some

Jay

Style Icon
    I adore my Paul Smith Mancini loafers!

What's your budget?

Trend Setter
    No budget at the moment, just forming early thoughts. Some very nice examples there across a wide price range. I'm going to have to put some thought into this one.

FashionBeans Staff
    take a look at some Bass Wejuns; they do some really good looking penny loafers in black and oxblood with various styles of tassel, don't know what kind of quality they are though.

Trend Setter
    New Grenson loafers that come in burnt pine or cognac @ Grenson

Another older Grenson loafer

and some burgundy Loakes @ Loake Brighton

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    take a look at some Bass Wejuns; they do some really good looking penny loafers in black and oxblood with various styles of tassel, don't know what kind of quality they are though.
    Stuart's London stock lots of that brand and they look pretty nice.

I have these All Saints ones, they were £55 in the sale and are amazing

Also picked up these Vivs in the sale, around £130 I think

I have many other pairs of loafers in various incarnations; tassel, penny, boat etc. They are the ultimate footwear imo. But I shall be mainly sticking to shoes and boots until spring, unless I'm getting dressed up to go out or whatever.

TK Maxx is a great place to pick up loafers btw, as they are still a little ott for many. I got an amazing pair of Walsh ones in Navy with a jagged sole and some large tassels. Amazing.

Trend Setter
    I'm also thinking of investing in a pair of penny loafers in the spring. I think I'm def going to go for burgundy/oxblood. My short list is between these Loake Princeton ones: Loake Leather Slip On Moccasins - Barratts Shoes

Which seem pretty easy to get hold of for around £90 in lots of places. And these one by Jones: Jones Bootmaker shoe store: Designer inspired footwear. Ladies & Men's shoes, courts, pumps, sandals, boots. Timberland, Rockport, Merrell, Gabor. Stylish leather handbags, purses & wallets.

The Jones ones are an extra £40, but have been in the shop and taken a look and they are really nice, great shade etc. The Loake's I have only seen on the internet. I know Loake make great shoes, I know less about Jones the Bootmaker.

Any thoughts, opinions or other suggestions?

Trend Setter
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

+ Reply to Thread