FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Wedding Shoe Help

Wow, what I site this is! I just discovered it yesterday and it is already draining the life out of my poor phone.

Anyhow, first post so please go easy on me. For my sins, I am to be married in May. I'm wearing a navy blue wool/mohair single breasted, peak lapelled number with a white shirt and, probably if the other half gets her way, a pink tie with contrasting pochette. My problem now is what to wear on my feet as I am looking for the shoes to add an edge if you get what I mean. The reason is the wedding is at the rock n roll Old Marylebone Town Hall with the reception in an old gin palace which has fabulous old punk posters in the downstairs bar and circus pictures upstairs where we eat.

I typically prefer a brogue, or a derivative thereof. I was going to buy black until my quite cool sister said black and navy don't go. She is probably not right, but it did get me thinking about alternatives. The other half is urging me to look at navy brogues but this seems wrong? I'm not looking for traditionally smart shoes, and really like interesting soles, although the vibram sole is probably pushing it. Whilst a fan of tan brogues, not really for this occasion.

Any thoughts would be hugley, hugely appreciated- and cost is an issue but I'll just have to have a cheaper ring if the shoes are perfect!

Jay

Style Icon
    OK, it goes without saying that this is an important one to get right.

Your cool sister is right. Black and navy are not a good colour combination. It's a little old, tired and uninspired. The bluer your suit (moving into royal blue), the better a black shoe will look. Any shade of brown will go navy, but can understand why you might not want something quite as bold as tan for your wedding.

If it were me, I'd strongly consider oxblood. They aren't so bright as to be garish, but will give a stylish edge.

I would avoid the vibram soul: it's gimicky and too fashionable: you want to be stylish not fashionable on your wedding day, no? Go for a leather sole. I personally would avoid the brogue for a formal occasion and go with something simpler and sleeker, but it's your wedding.

These are beautiful, although hideously expensive (but will give you an idea of what I am trying to describe):

Church's*Burwood Wingtip Brogues*|*MR PORTER

Thanks for this Jay. As an update she agreed that navy is now wrong although on one of her bride's blogs last night she saw a guy in a similar suit wearing tan shoes, so now she likes them.

I'm definitely going for oxblood I think given what you say, really like the Grenson Stanley brogues in Burgundy, but the Honey Stanleys look simply awesome (I think you mentioned these in the brogue thread). And the Oxblood Loakes in the Brogue thread are also a serious possiblity.

And it has to be a brogue as these will probably be my most expensive shoes ever and I love brogues- yes more casual, but they will stand out. Perfect.

Jay

Style Icon
    The honey Stanley Grenson's are indeed gorgeous.

I own these are they are simply beautiful:

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/shop/paul-smith-mens-shoes-390/paul-smith-shoes-chuck-brogue-sexc-h005-buf-t2/product.html

Trend Setter
    I like the Paul Smith ones Jay has, but I'm not keen on those Grenson Honey Stanleys for a wedding.

Grenson Dylan in Burnt Pine
    Grenson | Dylan brogue (I own these in tan and they're awesome)

Grenson Stanley in Oxblood
    Stanley Brogues, Men's Shoes, Oxford Brogues, Leather Shoes, Handmade Shoes.

Trend Setter
    Like the Grenson Stanley, a few other options:

Loake Shoemakers - Makers of hand made English men

Loake Shoemakers - Makers of hand made English men

Not too sure on the sole on the first ones, but something a bit different. I think oxblood as has already been said/ a deep burgundy.

Or something slightly different from the brief http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/articulo.asp?idarticulo=3674812

Man I need me some monk straps.

Thanks Pete and Tone. Whilst the Paul Smiths are undoubtedly lovely they are a little beyond my price range. So I am torn between the Grensons and Loakes. Really like the Loake Wedge but not sure about the, erm, wedge. The upper looks great though, probably my favourite in that regard. I'll go and have a look at them. Cheers guys.

Trend Setter
    Yeah I agree Tom the Paul Smith ones are beautiful but their just that little bit too expensive, the extra 50 quid or so is because their Paul Smith. The oxblood Loakes are the ones I recommended in the definitive thread I believe. You can't really go wrong with Loake or Grenson for quality and price, and if you shop around you might be able to get them with a few quid knocked off.

There is still a guy selling those Loake Royal in burgundy here on eBay
    Last edited by Tone; 13-01-2012 at 02:14 AM.

Trend Setter
    My thoughts exactly mate! love that upper though, the wedge makes it a bit casual.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Yeah I agree Tom the Paul Smith ones are beautiful but their just that little bit too expensive, the extra 50 quid or so is because their Paul Smith.
    I own all three brands of brogues (or brogue boots) and I can categorically say that the extra £50 for the Paul Smith is particularly down to the quality of the leather, but also the construction. They are better made from better leather than both Loake and Grenson brogues (although neither of the latter are poorly made).

+ Reply to Thread