FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Suede shoes Vs. the elements

Just looking for some input with some people that have worn suede shoes in bad weather, do they suffer a short life span and need throwing out after a down pour with lots of puddles? Can't quite find some leather ones I love yet.

Trend Setter
    You could try suede protector, which does provide a certain amount of protection, but I wouldn't advise wearing suede in heavy rain, particularly shoes that are probably going to be thinner material than, say, a suede jacket. Unfortunately suede is one of those things that looks great but isn't entirely suitable in the UK in my opinion. Go for leather, it's much more rugged and versatile.

Trend Setter
    If you want your suede shoes to look box fresh, then only wear them when the sun is out. But quality suede can take a bit of rain.​ Just try to avoid getting them completely soaked.

I don't hesitate to wear my Clark's desert boots when it rains. Preferably not too heavy rain, but I'm not afraid to get them a little wet. There will be a slight discolouration, but with proper cleaning and a do over with a brush to give the surface back that suede look and feel, it's hardly noticeable. And especially with brown suede, I don't think it matters. Of course, after every maintenance you have to once again drown them in rain protection.

A guy I know wears suede all year around - not all the time, but he always has a pair of suede shoes in rotation, no matter the season. According to him it's all down to cleaning them regularly (in winter, with snow and mud, this could be close to daily) and that you just drown them in a solid impregnation agent. He only wears darker coloured suede in winter though, like dark brown or navy.

So, while a bit impractical, it is doable.

You have to remember though, the more cleaning and brushing you do, you shorten the lifespan.
    Last edited by MarcLager; 17-09-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Nat

Style Icon
    Argh mate, I find it a nightmare! I use suede protector/scotch guard, but they still mark so, so easily. Even my dark ones. A good brush with a suede brush normally does the trick, but it's a hassle, and as Marc says, it shortens the lifespan.

I try to avoid wearing them if there is even the tiniest bit of rain. So for most of the year! Shame, as I love my desert boots. Will be getting a couple of pairs of leather ones though.

+ Reply to Thread