FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Style Icon

Tan Desert Boots With Black Jeans?

ASOS | ASOS Lace Up Desert Boots at ASOS
    Grabbed these of ASOS earlier, they're a bit darker in real life. Are these with black skinnies a definate nono? Because a few guys on here told me it could work. Opinions?
    Cheers folks.

Jay

Style Icon
    Black trousers/jeans with brown shoes is a difficult one to pull off and a traditional no-no. I stick to black footwear with black jeans; it just looks a an awful lot better.

Style Icon
    What would you recomend instead?

Jay

Style Icon
    With black skinnies? How about a good pair of black chelsea boots? Everyone should own a pair.

Style Icon
    Cheers, and with the desert boots? What jeans/chinos would you recomend?

Jay

Style Icon
    With the desert boots, I find pretty much any jeans or chinos colours work (accept black). My personal taste is for slim to skinny jeans and chinos and find they work well with everything I own whether its bright red chinos o dark indigo jeans. Also turned up is a must (for me, just above the top of the boot) with 'invisible' socks on (although chunky knit socks in winter look great too).

Stone or blue coloured desert boots with black bottoms are an alternative to black on black.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Stone or blue coloured desert boots with black bottoms are an alternative to black on black.
    Would these work?
    ASOS | ASOS Lace Up Desert Boots at ASOS

Sam

Style Icon
    Pairing tan, or similar tone, with black jeans, is something I would think risky. It's a harsh contrast, and black is quite hard to wear.

The real trick here, in my eyes, is to turn up your black jeans; the other side of the denim will have a lighter tone, usually, and this will draw a nice grey line between the jeans and boots which could mean the difference between it working and not working. Bonus points if your jeans are selvedge denim.

Worn black jeans, if that's your style, would also be a bit easier to work into it, but be wary of this style as it rings faintly of the X Factor boyband. Distressing is a real cliche and going out of fashion, so go for a more dirtied, washed out or faded finish to get the look. Don't go over the top though, that always looks cheesy.
    AllSaints Stat Lynvall Jeans that's about as far as you should go, I think. This is the situation in which stone would be a great alternative to tan; those ASOS shoes you picked out would work well in this context.

But yes, in general black jeans don't go with many shoes. Chelsea boots are a smart call. To pair with those desert boots, black jeans and trousers are more or less the only things that wouldn't work! So that was a bit unlucky, but go ahead and wear them well with every other trouser you have.

Style Icon
    Thanks Sam, great advice. I was in London today and saw quite alot of people wearing the "faux pas" of brown and black. This gave me hope but when I got back, it still doesn't look great. Not bad, but not great.
    I'm thinking of investing in some burgandy chinos? However, these might not suit my style, so what colour should i go for if i want something more subdued but also something that works with those boots?

+ Reply to Thread