FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
    Jay

Style Icon
    No, they don't have the high shine I was originally going for, but the ones I posted originally really weren't that shiny when I saw them. I'm still tempted by the Grenson's I posted but not for a few months at least. I've bought brogues and brogue boots in very recent times, so its time to lay off the footwear for a while.

I think you have to be careful with wingtipped chelsea boots, Sam. Because they are pointier, they can look a little cowboy. I think the Kurt Geiger ones are even called 'Dallas' which pretty much says it all.

How about these?

Tan Bauru Chelsea Boots -20% of with the code RX92 at the moment.

Sam

Style Icon
    They look quite nice! But I'm concerned about the reviews... there's two customer reviews both attesting to its terrible quality! Are those ever reliable?

I do think that when I come round to buying them, I'll save up for a quality pair because increasingly I'm finding cheap shoes to be a big mistake!
    Also because these look gorgeous. That said they have no place in the definitive brogues thread!

Loake Shoemakers - Makers of hand made English men

Jay

Style Icon
    Ahhh, I must admit to not reading the reviews. That would put me off for sure. You can't go wrong with proper no nonsense shoe makers like Loake in my humble opinion.

Their tan brogue boots are lovely (and almost identical to Grenson's at about the same price).

Trend Setter
    I quite like the ones you ended up getting Jay, the reddish hue sets them apart. The Lokes are just amazing.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyblue View Post
    I quite like the ones you ended up getting Jay, the reddish hue sets them apart. The Lokes are just amazing.
    They're really richly red when seen for real too and much more polished than they look in the photo. That's what was going for with the oxblood idea. In a strange way, the ones I bought fit my idea of oxblood and what I was going for than the actual oxblood ones.

Next on the list, those honey Grenson's.

Hi. I've had my heart set on getting mself a pair of chocolate brown Grenson brogues as a Christmas present to myself in a tone and finish and with enough structure to be able to wear them both smart-casually with dark jeans, but also with a navy suit for the city meets country look I tend to go for when more formal dress is required. As I was about to go for it though an oxblood pair, specifically the 'Stanley' model caught my eye and I'm now torn. Can an oxblood pair be just as versatile? Thanks!

Sam

Style Icon
    Absolutely. Well integrated oxblood leathers can be a subtle way of setting you apart without sticking out. They're also almost as versatile; they'll work in most of the same situations as dark brown.

Jay

Style Icon
    What Sam says.

I just find the Oxblood (I think they're just called Burgundy on the Grenson site) give a richer tone and add a little something. But then, the Honey coloured ones are even better and will be my next brogue purchase someday.

H&M Beige Brogues

I came across this pair of seude beige brogues:
    Product Detail | H&M SG'm a bit skeptical on the contrasting sole color but it seems to come off really nice.
    Now will these be versatile enough to warrant a purchase?
    I love seudes as they give off a really casual vibe.

I also have another question regarding the type of shoes that will suit me best.
    I am about 1.65m tall and I was wondering if any particular type of shoes/boots will make me look taller. (and better, of course)
    I've been sticking to loafers for awhile as they are more slim-profiled and generally more low-cut, showing more of my ankle.
    Will these brogues be safe too? Since they're of a similar colour to the skin. (I'm abit tanned)

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Soshistar View Post
    I came across this pair of seude beige brogues:
    Product Detail | H&M SG'm a bit skeptical on the contrasting sole color but it seems to come off really nice.
    Now will these be versatile enough to warrant a purchase?
    I love seudes as they give off a really casual vibe.

I also have another question regarding the type of shoes that will suit me best.
    I am about 1.65m tall and I was wondering if any particular type of shoes/boots will make me look taller. (and better, of course)
    I've been sticking to loafers for awhile as they are more slim-profiled and generally more low-cut, showing more of my ankle.
    Will these brogues be safe too? Since they're of a similar colour to the skin. (I'm abit tanned)
    Your link says 'page not found' so difficult to give advice on the brogues.

I'm not particularly tall and don't really pay any attention to what shoes may or may not work. I think looking taller is in the cut and styling of the rest fo your clothes rather than the shoes you wear.

+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last