FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Men's Boat Shoes

I fancy a pair of brown boat shoes paired with some darker chino's and a chunky knit jumper. That being said do you think this is a wise idea. A) will it look good. B) would you recommend me not to go with boat shoes in the current season.

Trend Setter
    In a word, NO.
    There has to be a point when practicality takes over. That doesn't mean you can't look good though.

Jay

Style Icon
    I loathe boat shoes (I think there's ALWAYS a better option) so I'm not about to give a very unbiased opinion here.

But fashion aside, boat shoes are ridiculously unpractical for the colder, wetter months and foot rot is not a good look for this AW.
    Last edited by Jay; 27-11-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Trend Setter
    In winter, they are as practical as wearing espadrilles. Wait for spring

Sam

Style Icon
    I agree with everything that's been said, but what I'd suggest is that you can get the same kind of nautical/fisherman trend cool from a pair of boat boots.

A good look, I think; practical, on-trend, and yet distinct from the military boot donning masses.
    Last edited by Sam; 28-11-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Trend Setter
    Loafers are a cooler alternative, I own boat shoes and don't wear them half as often as I do my loafers. I also bought some Grenson brogues in tan recently and they are coolest shoes around. Then again desert boots are pretty awesome as well... Out of all the choices I would put boat shoes at the bottom of my list, because they just don't look very smart.

Jay

Style Icon
    The boat boot is an abomination. It's like a Frankenstein's monster kind of creation that should never have been allowed to live! I'm at the front of the angry village mob wielding the biggest pitchfork when it comes to those things.

what about some loafers then. Gotta be honest not really a fan of those boots.

Jay

Style Icon
    Again, with loafers, they just aren't very seasonal. I love loafers which, as Tone says, offer a smarter, more stylish alternative, but they are SS wear and not really for AW. My loafers won't see the light of day until its warm enough to wear them without socks.

yeh valid point. Thinking about it I wouldnt be wearing loafers with socks on and in this weather i'd be freezing

+ Reply to Thread