FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last
    Sam

Style Icon

The Knackered Converse Debate

Knackered converse!
    Are they essential? Okay? Good for a punk look? A bit naff? Uncool? Out of fashion? A faux pas? An abomination? So bad they don't really warrant a debate?

I think they're a cool fallback for the younger or more casual guy. The skinny jeans gent, if you like.

Some... including, I've read, the odd Fashionbeans writer, consider them to be a dreadful mistake.

So commence the discussion!

I have a feeling I'm about to be kicked in the mouth with a fine Loake brogue...

I will always have at least one pair in my wardrobe, i think they are an essential 'throw on' shoe. Also for the mid £30 price range i've never found a plimsole alternative that can outlast them. I'm firmly in the Pro-Converse society!

Jay

Style Icon
    I'm not sure what kind of a fashion statement a knackered converse is trying to make. Effortless and comfortable indie cool? I'll stick with desert boots for that, thanks.

I do own a pair and in the several years since I bought them, they've graced my feet all of half a dozen times.

Fashionisto
    I don't actually own a pair because they look way too common. Everyone I know owns a pair of converse's and they always re-run the same designs over and over again. You would be better buying a unusual pair of plimsolls or maybe buying a designer pair of canvas'. I bought some lovely Ralph Lauren canvas' from Westfield yesterday and I am loving them.

You just have to remember that if you like converse's then buy them, they are not horrible or ugly by any stretch of the imagination.

FashionBeans Staff
    I have owned a pair in the past but now I'm not really a fan, it just isn't sartorially correct. I certainly wouldn't condone ruined, old battered examples either. I like my shoes fresh and clean and new.

Trend Setter
    I think converse can be a fashion statement if you know how to use them. I find exciting to see people who tend to dress smartly dressed down in converse, it feels fresh. If you wear it with personality, almost anything can look good and high fashion-y

Here are some examples of what I mean:

I think the picture of the girl sums up what i'm trying to say: you can use converse and still sport an interesting and grown-up look

I own a pair, but I haven't worn them for years and years. I find them (and most other trainers) way too casual. I think they can look great on the right person with the right outfit, particularly the high top ones. I agree that their time has passed though.

Tom

Trend Setter
    I think converse are a true all-timer, they'll always be worn and will always go with certain (and many) looks, normally for people not fussed with keeping up with trends which I think you'll find where people are divided. They'll never look daft, unlike some things at the moment which in time will be like looking back at the 80's and 90's thinking "what possessed people to wear those?"

FashionBeans Staff
    I own a pair but I only really wear them to the gym now, or if i'm quickly popping out. I wouldnt really take time in working them into an outfit though.
    "Lifes too short to blend in..." - Owner of Brighterman Accessories

Check out my articles for Fashion Beans - In my spare time I try to live a lifestyle I normally can't afford

Trend Setter
    I love the way the guy in this pic wears his

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last