FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Dying Trainers Need Life

I purchased a pair of Nike Killshot 2's from J. Crew a couple months ago. I have worn them regularly and have not taken care of them properly. Fashion has just recently become an important element in my life and I am slowly learning. Healthy shoes are important to any outfit. I have not taken care of my shoes and they are approaching death. Can you give me some insight on how I might revitalize these great trainers?

They look decent from the side and far away:

But, they are in sad condition up close:

What do I need to buy, use, and do to get these shoes back to looking great again? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FashionBeans Staff
    Get some suede protector for the suede (obviously) and then make sure you wipe off any dirt from the leather. You could probably use some neutral coloured leather conditioner on it as well, just to keep things in tip top shape. Unfortunately the dye marks from your jeans the the general dirt built up on the suede won't be coming off any time soon.

Fashionisto
    Hmmm I was going to offer the same advice as @William Coleman, it's important to use a special shoe protectant or spray to get the most out of your shoes. You can purchase shoe protectant thesedays at most shoe stores. However, doing so now won't reverse the damage already done. Oh well, they still look ok and you've learnt for next time. ;-)

Fashionisto
    Would any of you suggest that I place them in the washing machine? Or would that do more harm than good?

FashionBeans Staff
    not with suede, you shouldn't really get it wet, or even damp, you'll just ruin them. You should only put canvas shoes in the washing machine.

Trend Setter
    Conditioner & protector will improve the leather part. Look for a white or neutral suede renovator, should help return the colour to its original.

+ Reply to Thread