FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Are ASOS shoes any good?

Alright lads, first time poster here...

Although I regularly use ASOS.com for buying and browsing for clothing, I've never actually bought anything from their clothing range. I've no idea why, maybe it's a snobbish thing but some of their clothing isn't even that cheap so I'm not sure.

I've been looking for a pair of dessert boots with quite a minimalist heel for a few months now, and it seems ASOS' range of boots offer my best bet. They're not particularly expensive but they look decent, and my only concern is the quality of the shoe means they might not last long. Has anybody on here bought ASOS shoes before? Are they any good?

I've only had a quick browse but this pair is the one I'm looking at. I'd normally go for something in the 40-50 range for perhaps better quality but most of the shoes in that range have a larger heal at the back of the shoe. I've got a pair of Samuel Windsor dessert boots and their heal is pretty big, meaning it looks stupid if I'm dressing down in just a polo and some jeans.

I'm not sure if I've used the correct terminology here but hopefully people understand what I'm getting at and will be able to help!

Style Icon
    I've got a pair of these:
    ASOS | ASOS Brogues With Micro Sole at ASOS

At the 20 they ask now I can only recommend them. I payed 40, which I'm happy to have payed. That said, I think they'd quickly fall apart if they were used every day, or under poor weather conditions, like Scandinavia fall/winter. They will probably only last one season. Maybe two with luck. (Actually, considdering the season for these are pretty much over, I'll probably have use for them next year as well.) I've had mine for a little over three months, worn them maybe two days per week and they are holding up just fine. Fairly comfortable too. I've walked entire days in them when on holiday, without my feet hurting.

So, in conclusion, are they quality shoes? No. They're more of a fashion item. I'd only recommend buying ASOS shoes if you find something that's got a bit of an edge lookwise, that you don't find anywhere else, or don't want to pay heaps of money for.

If you're after chukka boots and looking to spend 40-50, I'd recommend trying to get a pair of Clark's or similar on sale instead.

Trend Setter
    Well, the minimal desert boots of your dreams are gonna cost you a pretty penny, since high end brands such as Common Projects usually do minimalism best. However, since the majority of us can't afford to splash out on clothes like that, you can never go wrong with Clark's Originals. After all, they did invent the desert boot!

If I were you I'd stay away from ASOS shoes (only stick to basic clothing), as they provide a quick fix which fill fall apart later. (They are a high street brand after all) This happened to me last year when I bought some ASOS boat shoes. Fast forward to today and after 2 summers worth of constant use, and they now have a hole in them. You catch my drift?
    Last edited by malti001; 02-09-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Excellent, cheers lads. Seems like Clarks Originals are *the* make to go for.

+ Reply to Thread